PCP addiction is a severe syndrome, and long-term, well-controlled treatment is often the best solution. In addition, there are a number of behavioral therapies that can be utilized as part of your treatment program for PCP addiction recovery. Call 800-592-1193 to find rehab centers that will cater to your needs.
Cognitive-behavioral Therapy (CBT)
CBT is one of the most commonly used therapeutic programs for addiction. It can be easily adapted to fit any substance of abuse as well as any individual’s particular situation. It is also especially beneficial for the simultaneous treatment of a comorbid mental disorder and addiction, a common problem among PCP abusers.
Often, individuals will suffer from a mental disorder before becoming addicted to the drug, but according to the Center for Substance Abuse Research, “Chronic and severe anxiety and depression,” along with social withdrawal and toxic psychosis are common long-term effects of PCP abuse as well. CBT can help treat any and all of these issues simultaneously.
Other ways CBT can help treat PCP addiction include:
- Teaching patients how to recognize and avoid triggers for abuse
- Teaching patients how to cope with cravings, stress, and other issues that may lead to relapse
- Replacing harmful attitudes toward substance abuse with more beneficial ones
- Helping patients see their addictions in a new light by comparing the positives and negatives of further PCP abuse
- Enhancing self-control and teaching other healthy life skills
Contingency Management (CM)
CM is another type of behavioral therapy that can be beneficial to a PCP addict’s treatment regimen. The program works by “giving patients tangible rewards to reinforce positive behaviors such as abstinence” (National Institute on Drug Abuse).
There are two types of CM programs:
- Voucher-based reinforcement works by giving patients vouchers for every drug test that comes back negative. Each voucher has some type of monetary value for certain goods or services that help promote a drug-free life. As long as the individual maintains their abstinence, they will receive better and better vouchers each time.
- Prize incentives works by giving patients chances to win prizes in cash instead of receiving vouchers. The more negative drug tests they take, the more draws they will receive and the more chances to win prizes.
If the individual does not pass a drug test, their vouchers or prize incentives will simply begin again at zero. This is a great way to keep individuals motivated to stay sober.
Group therapy is beneficial to PCP addicts because it lets them meet others who have gone through they same things they have. It also allows patients to see their own flaws and what they need to focus on through observing others like them. It is highly beneficial for addicts to be able to share with one another and gain social support in this stage of recovery.
Seek PCP Addiction Treatment Now
If you have been abusing PCP and cannot stop on your own, call 800-592-1193 to find rehab centers where you can begin your safe recovery. We will help you find the right facility for your particular situation as well as a program that provides the treatment options you require, including behavioral therapies. Call now.
- Related Articles