Call Now: 24Hr Addiction Hotline 800-411-9312 Who Answers?

Are Psychedelic Mushrooms Poisonous?

While psychedelic mushrooms themselves are not poisonous––although they can cause other results that may be deadly––there are other types of poisonous mushrooms that hallucinogen users sometimes confuse for those they seek. Call 800-411-9312 (Who Answers?) today to find treatment centers for hallucinogenic drugs and the results of this dangerous substance abuse.

Poisonous Mushrooms and Dangerous Results

According to Brown University, “Misidentification is one of the biggest dangers to taking psilocybin mushrooms.” These drugs themselves are not technically poisonous, although they do contain dangerous chemicals, but certain other fungi that are very poisonous sometimes look very similar. “It is… difficult to determine what genus of mushroom you have,” especially if you do not know much about the drugs themselves. Therefore, those who use these substances can possibly encounter some very dangerous results if they accidentally ingest a poisonous mushroom.

How Do I Know If I’ve Been Poisoned?

Psychedelic Mushrooms Poisonous

Accidentally ingesting poisonous mushrooms can lead to abdominal cramps and vomiting, lasting for many hours.

A mushroom is very likely poisonous if an individual experiences vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach pain. This can be difficult to identify, however, because as stated by the Center for Substance Abuse Research, “Nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, and diarrhea” are all also physical side effects of psilocybin mushroom use.

However, these symptoms are likely to last for a few hours while those caused by a poisoning will usually last longer. It is important to seek help immediately, though, if you believe you may have experienced a mushroom poisoning, as this can often be fatal.

Are Psychedelic Mushrooms Safe to Consume?

Even though psilocybin mushrooms are not poisonous themselves, it is very easy to accidentally ingest a poisonous genus and suffer the consequences. This is only one of the reasons, however, why this particular drug is still dangerous to consume.

  • Though not addictive, psilocybin abuse can cause extreme long-term problems such as hallucinogen persisting perception disorder and persistent psychosis. The former condition causes flashbacks to earlier hallucinations, suddenly and without warning, while the latter causes problems discerning reality, difficulty communicating with others, visual disturbances, and paranoia. Both conditions require treatment.
  • Taking these substances can cause severe adverse reactions in the form of a bad trip. This can lead to frightening hallucinations, panic, terror, depression, agitation, dissociation, and severe paranoia. Even for some who do not experience flashbacks, these experiences can haunt them for the rest of their lives.
  • Abusing psychedelic mushrooms can lead to dangerous and violent acts, such as suicide, homicide, accidental fatalities, and self-mutilation. There is no way to know whether or not you may experience a bad trip and what it may lead you to do.

Dangers of Magic Mushrooms

Abusing these drugs is still dangerous even if you do not accidentally ingest a poisonous mushroom. If you have been taking psychedelic mushrooms regularly, though, and realize that you need help, call 800-411-9312 (Who Answers?) today to find treatment centers that will cater to your needs.

You can also receive access to options that can help you with long-term issues associated with this abuse, such as HPPD and persistent psychosis. If you believe you have ingested a poisonous genus of mushroom, call 911 immediately.

Where do calls go?

Calls to numbers on a specific treatment center listing will be routed to that treatment center. Calls to any general helpline (non-facility specific 1-8XX numbers) will be answered or returned by one of the treatment providers listed below, each of which is a paid advertiser:

ARK Behavioral Health

By calling the helpline you agree to the terms of use. We do not receive any commission or fee that is dependent upon which treatment provider a caller chooses. There is no obligation to enter treatment.

I NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE NOWI NEED TO TALK TO SOMEONE NOW 800-411-9312Response time about 1 min | Response rate 100%
Who Answers?

Pin It on Pinterest