Whether you know them as magic mushrooms, boomers, God’s flesh, little smoke, or silly putty, hallucinogenic mushrooms are a common way to get high.
Many people like taking these people they give them a psychedelic buzz. However, can using these fungi be dangerous for your health?
Why Certain Mushrooms Make You High
The main ingredient in hallucinogenic mushrooms is psilocybin. Chemically, this substance is related to LSD and produces many of the same effects.
Before you start combing your backyard for fungi, keep in mind that not all mushrooms contain psilocybin. Typically, it is found in mushrooms that grow in subtropical and tropical areas in Mexico, the United States, and South America.
The typical hallucinogenic mushroom will have between 0.2 to 0.4 percent psilocybin, but this can vary depending on the type of mushroom.
How to Take Hallucinogenic Mushrooms
Usually, hallucinogenic mushrooms are taken orally, whether they are dried, raw, fresh, or crushed into pill form.
However, they can also be made into a tea or coated with chocolate in order to conceal their bitter flavor and make them easier to consume.
A typical trip on mushrooms involves taking a dose of four to 10 milligrams at one time.
Effects of Hallucinogenic Mushrooms
Taking mushrooms can produce a lot of interesting effects. The most desired effect is mild euphoria and tingling sensations. Additionally, people can often feel more sensitive to music and visual stimuli.
Other effects can include:
- feeling separate from surroundings
- feeling heavy or light
- changes in mood
- distortion of perception
Generally, these effects begin 30 minutes to two hours after you consume the mushrooms and can last up to nine hours depending on the strength of the mushroom.
Short-Term Dangers of Mushrooms
Unfortunately, mushrooms can have a lot of undesired, dangerous effects as well. Some of the nasty physical side effects of them include:
- muscle weakness
- lack of coordination
These side effects can put you at risk for bodily harm, especially if you are in an unsafe environment. You might accidentally injure yourself or even intentionally harm yourself.
Additionally, if you happen to overdose by taking too many mushrooms, you can give yourself a trip that is too intense and terrifying. In severe situations, you might even have a chance of death.
One final short-term danger of mushrooms is misidentification. Because there are so many poisonous mushrooms out there that look similar to the hallucinogenic variety, it is possible to make a mistake and take the wrong kind.
If you have taken mushrooms and feel like you are in danger, do not hesitate to call us at 800-411-9312 (Who Answers?) . Our experts can help guide you through your trip or get you the medical help you need.
Long-Term Dangers of Mushrooms
On the positive side, there aren’t many long-term effects to hallucinogenic mushrooms. Scientists have determined that they are nonaddictive, meaning you won’t become dependent on them.
However, you can become tolerant to mushrooms, meaning that you will need to take more and more to experience the same effects. This could lead to an unintentional overdose.
There have been some studies done that suggest having a bad trip from hallucinogenic mushrooms could trigger longer-term psychosis. These could involve alarming flashbacks and ever-present anxiety that lingers long after the mushrooms are out of your system.
Additionally, mushrooms have been shown to aggravate certain mental health conditions, such as depression, mania, or schizophrenia.
While hallucinogenic mushrooms aren’t as dangerous as some illegal drugs out there, they still have a fair bit of danger and should be avoided.
Have more questions on the dangers of hallucinogenic mushrooms? Just call one of our specialists at 800-411-9312 (Who Answers?) to get answers to your inquiries.
- Related Articles